Polls

Best Overheard of the Week (01/19/2022)

• I'll be like my sister and catfish people on Farmersonly.com. She's a menace. (Upper Caf) (56%, 5 Votes)
  • It was like a wall of cheese smell. I couldn't even go in. (Humanities) (22%, 2 Votes)
  • Me being an introvert, I like to recharge my batteries. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)
  • Dude, you guys were all over each other and I wanted to gag. (Lower Caf) (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Jeff Barnes presents on Nebraska’s Historical Monuments

Jeff Barnes’ presentation, “Marking Nebraska: Our (Mostly) Hidden Historical Monuments”, was on October 10 in the lower-level study area of Conn Library and discussed historical monuments.  

As a former newspaper reporter, trustee of the Nebraska State Historical Society and more, Barnes is a Nebraska historian well educated about the “hidden history” of the state. Barnes’ presentation revolved around rarely seen landscapes in Nebraska and long-forgotten stories most Nebraskans have never heard before. The historical monument located west of Benthack Hall will be featured in the program as well.  

Charissa Loftis, reference librarian for the college, has a vision for a series she hopes to implement. It’s a series called, “Nebraska: People, Places, Things,” where once a semester, a speaker will be brought in to educate students and staff about Nebraska and what’s beneath the surface.  

“My intention in having that series is to help students understand the significance of Nebraska,” Loftis said. “Not only regional students or local students, but international students as well.”  

To accomplish this goal, Loftis has been working directly with Humanities Nebraska, which is how Loftis was able to get Barnes to present at Wayne State College.  

The program is partially funded by Humanities Nebraska, an organization established to help “Nebraskans possess the knowledge, understanding, and empathy to cultivate a more informed, thoughtful, and just society,” according to their website.  

“They have a list of speakers we can utilize that are grant funded, and it makes it affordable to bring these speakers in,” Loftis said. “I hope to use this opportunity to connect people to the collection.”  

This presenter, as well as ones to follow, aren’t targeted towards history and geography students, but the student body as a whole. Loftis wants these presenters to appeal to everyone, not just specific students.  

Loftis is personally interested in learning more about Nebraska and what lies underneath the surface. She strives to peak others’ interest in this subject as well. More specifically, she hopes the students and staff learn something from Barnes’ presentation, as she is particularly excited to hear what he has to say.  

“My hope is that students walk away, feel good about Nebraska, and can help educate other people who don’t know much about Nebraska,” Loftis said. “I’m just excited to hear what he has to say. I too like to travel around the state.”  

Donate to The Wayne Stater
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wayne State College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.