NFL vs NFLPA: Showdown of the Decade?

The National Football League is once again at odds with the NFL’s Players Association, this time culminating in an official grievance.  

According to the Associated Press, the grievance, which was officially filed on Sept. 11, accuses higher-ups within the NFLPA, such as former offensive lineman and current NFLPA President JC Tretter, of ordering running backs to fake or exaggerate injuries as a bargaining tool when it comes to contract talks. Personally, this is one of the strangest things I have seen in all my years watching football. 

For some context, the running backs in the NFL are an intriguing position. Running backs are considered transitory by many, as a good chunk of them only last about five years or so in the league. Not many have long careers or see multiple contracts. Derrick Henry of the Tennessee Titans is an exception, as he is playing at age 29 and has seen three or four contract extensions.  

In the past few years, many have been openly frustrated about contracts, claiming to be underpaid and undervalued as a position. Josh Jacobs of the Las Vegas Raiders and Saquon Barkley of the New York Giants both wanted new contracts this season, but ended up just signing a franchise tag. All that means is those players signed a deal where they play for their current team one last year and won’t take offers from other teams. Coincidentally, Barkley is on the injured list for the Giants thanks to an ankle injury he suffered earlier this month. A plethora of big-name running backs are already hurt, and we’re not even four weeks into the season. According to ESPN, JK Dobbins of the Baltimore Ravens, Nick Chubb of the Cleveland Browns, David Montgomery of the Detroit Lions, Aaron Jones of the Green Bay Packers, Jonathon Taylor of the Indianapolis Colts, Austin Ekeler of the Los Angeles Chargers, Jamaal Williams of the New Orleans Saints and Barkley are just a few of the many currently injured running backs around the NFL.  

Take a look at recent Super Bowl teams. There is an argument there that suggest the importance of running backs. For example, the Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs, last year’s Super Bowl matchup, each utilized running backs in a variety of ways. The Eagles had Miles Sanders picking up yards rushing and receiving out of the backfield, getting key first downs along the way. The Chiefs had Isaiah Pacheco and veteran back Jerick McKinnon, who each had over 800 yards rushing coming into the game. 

To say all these players are faking injuries for money is ludicrous and an insult to not only the importance and integrity of the position, but to the individuals injured as well.  

The NFL needs to check themselves here. Running backs have been proven to be an important facet of the game, and a good ground attack translates to success. Instead of looking for problems, the NFL should just pay the backs more. In no way am I or anyone saying the running back position is more or equally important as a good quarterback, but the running back position is still one that is heavily undervalued

$100
$500