Majoring in Journalism during the 21st century

Journalism is one of the most crucial sectors in American society, but not all journalism circles back to newspapers.  

I come from a town smaller than Wayne, so I appreciate a weekly paper more than most. It devastates me learning about the lack of support for printed newspapers in this modern world, a travesty I try to reverse by writing for the Stater.  

Many people assume I plan on working for a newspaper when I graduate, as I am majoring in journalism. That assumption could not be farther from the truth.  

While few things make me happier than seeing printed newspapers in stores, I would rather lose my hands than spend the rest of my life writing for a town’s newspaper.  

Everyday citizens are losing faith in electronic journalism. In 2018, the Pew Research Center collected answers from over 10,000 Americans about their perspective on journalism. Results showed only 33% of respondents believed news organizations were professional, 30% thought news organizations protected democracy and 23% felt journalists cared about the people they report on.  

This lack of faith in the press stems from a new period riddled with inaccurate and biased information. Politicians use the media to cover up violations and celebrities use it to support criminals. Since the internet is accessible to almost everyone, most people forget what it was like to have accurate news printed each week.  

There is no part of me that yearns for a job at a newspaper, but few people see online journalism as credible. It has become hard to be excited for a future filled with political news pieces and inspiring editorials when people have such little faith in electronic journalism.  

Despite my desires, I have spent the last three years of college learning how to be a journalist through the lens of a printed newspaper. I’ve learned how to create a layout, studied the inverted pyramid more than should be legal and interviewed many people without ever feeling satisfied.  

I’ve grown tired of people asking which town I want to write for instead of wondering what I enjoy writing about. I love talking about things that inspire change or personal stories that uplift others. Covering the weekly football games does not spark joy for me, but reassuring someone anxious about coming out or collecting research about climate change stimulates me in ways I will never be able to replicate working for a town paper.  

This article is not meant to diminish printed newspapers. There are people who are incredible at covering local news, and quite frankly, someone needs to do it. I will always support these people because they allow me to search for something else, a job that inspires me the way papers inspire them.  

Writing for the Stater has educated me in ways I never would have imagined, such as eliminating a career choice. I wholeheartedly planned on writing for a newspaper after college, so trying it now while I’m young is something I am grateful for. While I hope working for this paper continues to either open or close doors for me, I also wish my learning department would teach me how to do more than write news pieces. I am capable of more than reporting about a retiring teacher or a new business opening.  

To anyone who feels their area of study is limited, please don’t forget about life after college. We are taught about so few career choices, but life has so much to offer! You will find your ambition one day, and I hope everyone supports you through it. I know you’ve got it in you. You deserve to have a career you enjoy, one that inspires you each and every day.  

$100
$500