Wayne State’s New Rec Facility

Wayne State College is in the process of constructing a new recreational facility and athletic Director Mike Powicki was interviewed about the new facility. 

Powicki said the structure will be available to most of the sports teams hosted at WSC. “We went through a process trying to separate out what our division two athletes needed from facilities, but we most certainly see this facility servicing our general student population, club sports and intramurals,” Powicki said. “What you’re going to see in the dome is a three-hundred-meter track and over 85 yards of artificial turf which will be used for football, soccer, baseball and softball. At the north end, we are going to have some specific areas for track and field, our throwing area, pole vault, high jump and long jump.  

The women’s golf program is going to have a chipping and putting green area as well as some golf simulator hitting bays. “When we designed this facility, it was really about how we provide a training and practice facility for just about all of our collegiate sports but also provide support for intramural opportunities and club sports,” Powicki said. “We are designing this facility to support a lot of different activities and sports.” 

“It’s really intended to be a training and practice facility,” Powicki said. “We aren’t putting any permanent seating in, and that is a little bit intentional.” The construction planners didn’t have enough space, so they had to figure out how to host some smaller level track events and bring in some temporary seating. “I would say ninety-five percent of the usage is really meant for practices, training and general wellness or recreation,” Powicki said.  

$100
$500