A Weekend in Wayne with the Family

While Wayne State College offers many different opportunities and activities, Family Day is a tradition WSC continues to carry on.  

WSC’s family and siblings weekend is a time for families to come see the life their college student is living. The event took place the weekend of Sept. 16 to 17. The weekend consisted of many activities including a WSC football game, a fireworks aftershow, carnival events, a planetarium show, a mentalist performance and much more.  

Abby Schuck, an Assistant Director of Residence Education at WSC, said the weekend was a great success. “It was so fun to see college students showing their littles around campus,” Schuck said. The carnival had an event for creating canvas paintings with the handprints of the little and big siblings together.  

“I think the littles liked having this memento to take with them,” Schuck said. “Saturday nights, younger siblings are allowed to stay in dorms with their older siblings, which is sponsored by the residence halls. Sunday morning, there is a brunch for those who attend.” 

A total of 52 siblings stayed in the dorms this year. Veronica Guenther, a junior at WSC, brought her sibling to campus for the weekend and played several games. “My sister really enjoyed the mentalist performance,” Guenther said. “Then we played sand volleyball and enjoyed the fireworks show put on after the football game. The carnival on Sunday put on by RHA was also tons of fun and my sister really enjoyed some of the games available.”  

Because of COVID-19, WSC’s family weekend was stopped for a while. This is the second year having family and siblings weekend return after COVID. The numbers even went up by 10 compared to last year. 

$100
$500