New Dorm Building

Construction+begins+to+add+new+additions+to+the+WSC+campus.++
Construction begins to add new additions to the WSC campus.

A new dorm is being built on the south side of parking lot 10 by Haussmann Construction and should be done with construction by December 2024. 

The new dorm building is being built to replace Berry Hall because renovation would have been too costly. At a cost of $25 million, a new dorm was considered the cheaper option by Wayne State College. The dorm will be four stories tall and face the Kanter Student Center. 

With the new dorm building comes suite style housing. This means that four students will share a living room and a bathroom. The bedrooms connected to this shared living space can be one of two configurations, two double rooms or four single rooms. Students’ desire for apartment like housing contributed to this decision.  

There will also be the style that all students are accustomed to known as traditional style. The traditional style rooms should be about the same size as Berry’s with the communal bathrooms. There will be a case of priority for upper classmen in the dorm. There should be around 168 beds for suite style and 100 for traditional according to Thomas Osnes, the Associate Director for the housing operation. 

According to Osnes, Haussmann has worked for the school previously during the Bowen renovation and the Peterson Fine Arts addition among other things. Osnes also said that the building should be done in December of 2024 and move in should be available in the spring of 2025.  

The new dorm will have less beds than Berry. Berry will also be demolished and eventually may be turned into a green area, but the demolition date is unknown. The school only knows that Berry was too costly to bring up to code because of how the building was constructed.  

$100
$500