Wildcats track and field traveled to Central Nebraska Invite

Jackson Kelley, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College Wildcats traveled to Kearney to compete in the Central Nebraska Invite Saturday, April 1. 

On the men’s track and field side, Logan Moeller has been named NSIC Men’s’ Outdoor Field Athlete of the week for the second week in a row and Moeller hit an NCAA provisional mark of 24’8 ¾” to win the long jump. He was second in the triple jump with a mark of 46’6”. Moeller is number one in the NSIC in both the long jump and the triple jump. He has the third-best mark in the long jump in the NCAA Division II. 

“It feels good to start of the season to a good start,” Moeller said. “Being Named athlete of the week is truly an honor to me considering that our conference is hard especially in the jumps.” 

Dylan Kneifl took second place in the high jump clearing 6’8 ¾”, an NCAA provisional mark. He is currently tied for 13th place in NCAA Division II.  

In the 110-meter hurdles Keaton Wittier came in second with a time of 14.87 seconds. Daylin Mallory took third place in the discus with a mark of 152’5” 

For women’s track and field, McKenzie Scheil, a graduate student from Fairmont, was named NSIC Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week for her first-place finish in the hammer throw with a mark of 199’4”. Her throw was a NCAA Provisional mark placing her in the number one spot in the NSIC and #3 in NCAA Division II.  

“It felt good to go out and get a good mark to begin the year,” Scheil said.  

She improved by 7’7” from her mark of 191’9” at the Wildcat Classic on March 24 and 25. Scheil also placed fifth in the shot put with a mark of 43’7 ¼”. 

Brooklynn Chipps came in second in the hammer throw with a mark of 198’ 1” now ranking fourth in NCAA Division II.  

“Always at the beginning of every season I go into meets saying what happens, happens,” Chipps said. “I don’t get down when something bad happens. So, I was going into the meet with that in mind.” 

Reilly Young took first-place in the discus with a mark of 154’ 10” beating second place by 7’ 2”.  

“I felt super accomplished that my hard work these last couple of years led me to winning an event like the UNK/ Central Nebraska Challenge,” Yong said. “There was great competition and it has me very enthusiastic to have ins so early in the season and I will keep the momentum going.”  

Kendra Paasch placed in three events taking fourth in the shot put with a mark of 43’10 ¾”. She placed fourth in the discus with a mark of 142’5” and seventh in the hammer throw with a mark of 164’ 1”. Emily Smollen finished second in the triple jump with 35’10 ½” and third place in the long jump with 17’4 ¾”.  

Everyone is pushing hard and staying tough each week. 

“I wouldn’t be in the position I am in without my teammates pushing me and making me better,” Moeller said. 

The Wildcats track and field team travels to Vermilion, South Dakota next to compete in the USD Early Bird Invite on April 7 and 8.