New professor joins business department

Katie Humburg, Staff Writer

Grant Schrick always dreamed of becoming a college professor. 

That dream is now a reality, as Schrick is one of Wayne State College’s newest professors. He began teaching at WSC in August of 2022. Schrick was teaching at the high school when he learned there was a job opening at WSC. He applied for the position, got the job and everything else just fell into place. Schrick loves living in the town of Wayne, having resided here for six years now. 

This past fall, Schrick taught two introduction to manufacturing classes, including a mass production class. In this class, he teaches students how to work together on manufacturing projects as a large group and how to be team-oriented. He also teaches computer numeric control, welding and robotics classes.  

Schrick started his own college schooling at a community college and earned degrees in advanced manufacturing, mechanical drafting and plastic mold making. He then worked in industry and later chose to return to school at WSC as an undergraduate student in STS education or “skilled technical sciences.” Then pursued curriculum instruction with an emphasis in STS as a graduate assistant.  

Schrick knew he wanted to become a teacher from a very young age. His mother and his grandfather were teachers, and they passed on their love for learning. While he pursued his own science degrees, Schrick still dreamed of becoming a college-level professor.  

Instead of continuing to work in the business sector, which he tried and enjoyed, he desired to help mentor and teach others. He wanted to encourage students with his shared interests in skilled technical sciences to pursue their own career goals. Schrick is proud of the decision he has made to teach full-time and does not regret the rewarding path he is on. 

The best part of his job so far has been connecting with students and helping them in any way that he can to make sure that they do well in his classes.  

“I really like connecting with the students,” Schrick said. “I like to build relationships, and it’s really cool to see the kids grow, and then when they go out and get jobs and you’re seeing the kind of opportunities that they’re getting after going to school here is really cool.” 

The building blocks of the different relationships he has formed have been very fulfilling. Seeing his students learn, succeed and get jobs immediately after they graduate is a confirmation that his teaching work is valuable.