Unwrapping the golden ticket

• WSC student Amanda Murphy won a free tshirt from transfer admissions representative Erin Polacek at the Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship Luncheon on Jan. 26 in Frey Conference Suite.

Debbie Hernandez, Staff Writer/Cartoonist

It was six a.m. when freshman Amanda Murphy heard the ding from her iPad that would immediately send her into a state of ecstasy.

“I immediately screamed for my mom. Then I started crying and she started crying,” Murphy said. “It was a huge weight off our shoulders knowing that I wouldn’t have to pay for college and that I could go to school and pursue my dreams.”

Murphy is among the select few who have had the honor of receiving a Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship.

This scholarship has been awarded to Nebraska students for more than 50 years and covers full college tuition. It’s awarded on a competitive basis to first-time, entering freshmen who are residents of Nebraska and graduates of a Nebraska high school.

“Through this meeting we want students to feel comfortable and make the right connections,” Learning Skills specialist, Mary Carstens said. “We want these scholars to know that they can come in for one-on-one academic coaching and be aware of the opportunities available to them.”

The Buffett scholarship is like the golden ticket to the Willy Wonka chocolate factory. However, it takes more than removing wrappers to receive this award.

Everything from a personal essay, academic merit, involvement in community, and the strength of recommendation letters are carefully reviewed.

“It was great to hear I received the Buffett scholarship” sophomore Raychel Wyatt said. “I was thankful for the opportunity to continue with school, and meet others who are as fortunate as I am.”