Volleyball in Nebraska Means More

Zach Nunnenkamp, Sports Writer

Nebraska is home to some of the most elite and dominant volleyball players in the country.  

The little girls grow up in Nebraska and dream about playing volleyball on national T.V. There is a culture and atmosphere centered around volleyball in Nebraska that is unmatched around the country. 

Nebraska does not have any professional sports teams, making college athletics the highest level of competition in the state. Nebraska is home to some of the top college volleyball teams. The University of Nebraska at Lincoln is one of the most prestigious programs in division one. Creighton University is also a top nationally ranked team in recent years. The arena they play in has hosted the NCAA tournament games as well as the final four and championship games. Nebraska is home to dominant division two volleyball programs such as Wayne State College and the University of Nebraska at Kearney.  

UNL has won five national championships with their last one in 2017. They have continued a streak of being a ranked team and one of the best teams in the Big Ten conference. UNL has gathered some of the largest crowds in collegiate history. Nebraska fans love volleyball more than most other sports. The Huskers just surpassed 300 consecutive sellouts.  

WSC secured their most ever wins in a single season with 30 wins. They were the number one seed and hosted the regional for the NCAA Tournament. UNK also made the postseason and ended with a record of 28-6. Both programs were dominant throughout the season and made the postseason. 

Nebraska is even home to some of the top high school volleyball teams. Some teams have even been ranked nationally. In 2020, Omaha Skutt Catholic was ranked number one overall. Papillion La-Vista South and Lincoln Pius X were also ranked in the top 25. Multiple girls from across the state also go on to play collegiate volleyball. 

Nebraska is home to some of the most passionate fans in the world and they have come together to support volleyball and help create a winning tradition. No other place has better programs and traditions. Nebraska might not have professional sports but that does not stop fans from supporting athletics. Nebraska is a volleyball state.