Senate Discusses the Addition of a Campus Fire Pit

Aubreanna Miller, Editor-in-Chief

The Senate deliberated a firepit proposal for campus, inducted two new representatives to the School of Business and Technology and allocated $7,200 to the Disc Golf Club at its Nov. 14 meeting. 

Before moving into the resolutions, President Carter Ossian and Trustee Brett Hilbers gave opening remarks regarding campus events, Senate visibility and the recent Nebraska State College System Board of Trustee meeting held on Nov. 10.  

The Senate will cohost the 20th annual Festival of Trees with Pi Gamma Mu. Clubs and organizations may provide their own tree or borrow one from the college. All proceeds from the event will go to Wayne families.  

Additionally, trying to increase visibility between senators and their constituents, the group has provided a link with the list of schools and each senate representative within those various sectors. To find the link, visit the bio section of the Senate’s Instagram page: @wscstudentsenate.  

Furthering visibility, flyers with QR code links to the minutes of the most recent meeting will now be available in all dorm halls and other places on campus.  

Trustee Hilbers then provided the group with a summary of the Board of Trustees’ latest meeting held on the WSC campus on Nov. 10. A comprehensive list of the board’s motions may be found on The Wayne Stater’s website. 

With the Board, Hilbers had the opportunity to walk through the Peterson Fine Arts building to survey the current renovations. Dean of Arts and Humanities, David Bohnert, expects the renovations to be completed by April, according to Hilbers. 

“I was really impressed by the space,” Hilbers said. “Compared to how it used to be, Ramsey is just gorgeous. The new band and choir rooms for practice on the East side look out onto the football field with a bunch of natural light.” 

Resolution 46 approved the recommendations for the Senate Firepit Project to Kyle Nielsen, Director of Facility Services. 

Nelsen attended the meeting to discuss the addition of a firepit to campus, complete with a cooktop for student and club use.  

“We have been talking about a fire pit for years on this campus,” Nelsen said. “This is just a starting point to work through questions to come back to later.” 

Senators deliberated locations, size, a natural gas line and other issues the project may run into. To ensure the design acts as an inclusive, inviting and well-thought-out space, the Senators and Nelsen will work through suggestions over the next coming weeks before finalizing their decision.  

Next, Senators unanimously approved President Ossian’s of junior Katie Rathman to the School of Business and Technology.  

Alec Janousek, an RA on campus, also joined Student Senate as a representative for the School of Business and Technology.  

The final resolution of the night allocated $7,200 to the Disc Golf Club. The funds will go toward signage for the course as an eight-week contract with an organization from Norfolk. Each basket will have its own sign, along with a large sign calling attention to the course and giving credit to each organization that has played a part in the formulation of the course. 

“To have a finalized course with signs, gives us an edge over other colleges,” Senator Griffin Ryan said. “It’s a great highlight to campus.” 

The left-over money from the project will go toward adding a final basket, completing the ****yearlong renovation.  

The next Senate meeting will be held on Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. in Connell Room 131. All students may attend Senate meetings.