Wayne State College Honors Veterans

Robert Claypool

Photo by Robert Claypool on Flickr. Courtesy of creativecommons.org.

Jackson Kelley, News Writer

Wayne State College is having a Veteran Open House on Wednesday, Nov. 9 from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. The Veteran Open House is in the back room of the lower cafeteria in the Kanter Student Center.  

The Veteran Open House is for veterans, dependents, and their family members to connect and find support at WSC.  

“It’s just a social, an open house for people to get connected with other students, faculty or staff that also have that background, so they know who their support is here on campus,” Tabetha Waggoner-drees said.  

She also said that the Student Health and Counseling Center wants to talk with people and identify the services they can use.  

The Veteran Open House is an event partly to celebrate Veteran’s Day on Nov. 11. Veteran’s Day is a day to celebrate and honor those who have served in the United State in all wars. Many people on this day choose to take two minutes of silence at 11 a.m. in honor of those who have served in the United States Military.  

Veteran’s Day was originally to honor veterans of World War I but has evolved to honor those who served in any war or military service.  

Student Health decided to have a Veteran Open House to bring awareness to the benefits Veterans and their family members can receive.  

“We decided to do something for them after Rebeka Wilson reached out to us identifying a need for providing support for veterans, their families and dependents,” Waggoner-drees said.  

While there are many Veterans reaping the benefits WSC has to offer, many may not be.  

“I believe Rebeka has had contact with somewhere between 75 and 80,” Waggoner-drees said, “She does not believe that she has contact with all veterans on campus. She thinks there are some students out there utilized her services.”