Wayne State Soccer’s Defense Shines in 1-0-1 Record Over Weekend

Tucker Ashburn, Sports Writer

Wayne State Women’s Soccer went 1-0-1 over the weekend with a 1-1 tie with Southwest Minnesota State University, and a 1-0 win over University of Sioux Falls. The Wildcat’s defense held strong throughout both matches. 

The first game was against Southwest Minnesota State University on Friday, Sept. 30, where the Wildcats would fall to a 0-1 at the 55:52 mark by SMSU forward Haley Mason. It would not be until the 82:57 mark when freshman defender Christina Marlow, would score the game-tying-goal. 

SMSU would attempt nine shots while WSC would attempt 15 shots. Both teams got eight shots on goal and would get seven saves. SMSU had six fouls in the game, while the Wildcats had four fouls in the matchup. 

In the second match against the University of Sioux Falls, the defense did not give up a single goal. Wildcat forward, Abby Sutton, would score a goal at the 43:59 mark. The Wildcats attempted 11 shots, six on goal, while UCF attempted six shots, four on goal.  

The Wildcats defense would have four saves on the game while USF would get five saves. This game was called tightly in terms of fouls, the Wildcats got called for 15 fouls, compared to Sioux Falls with 10 fouls. Senior goalkeeper, Hayden Wallace, made crucial saves, protecting the 1-0 lead with four saves. 

The Wayne State Soccer team has not lost a game since Sept. 16 in a game against Northern State, where they would lose 0-4 on the road. Since then, games have ended in a tie or a victory for the Wildcats. The cats are 2-5-4 on the year and will travel to University of Mary in Bismarck, ND Friday Oct. 7.