New Club Inducted, Changes to the Constitution at Second Senate Meeting

Aubreanna Miller, Editor-in-Chief

Potential freshman senators attended the Sept. 12 Student Senate meeting where they witnessed speeches from gallery members, deep considerations of proposals, and the induction of a new club.

After announcements and nominations for Homecoming Court, Senator Brett Hilbers overviewed changes made last Thursday, Sept. 8 by the Nebraska State College System. One of the motions passed updated the qualifications for Student Trustees. Hilbers also explained a $32 million renovation at Chadron State College. For the future of Wayne, the NSCS discussed a program statement pushing for the transformation of Brandenburg to a Student Service Center. If this were to happen in the future, all important student offices (Financial Aid, Holland Success Center, etc.) would reside in Brandenburg. The original spaces would be modified for storage or student use.

The first resolution of the night unanimously passed the induction of a WSC 8-Ball Pool club. The new club’s vice president, Darwin Arcoz, spoke to the senators regarding their plans moving forward.

Next, the Student Senate voted to allocate $2,100 to the National Association for Music Education club. Just last year, WSC’s chapter of NAFME won the award for the most active chapter nationwide.

The next few resolutions, proposed by Senator Kyle Jedlicka, updated the wording of their constitution. These motions, “To change the powers and responsibilities of the President Pro-tempore, as described by Article II, Section 1 of the Wayne State College Student Senate Constitution” and “To take away the power to present nomination resolutions from the Vice President, as had been described by Article II, Section 1 of the Wayne State Student Senate Constitution,” rid the Constitution of any discrepancies that would cause confusion.

Resolution 14, after much deliberation, passed to allow senators to vote by proxy in the case of an
excused absence. Proxy voting means an absent senator will have the power to vote through a
predetermined senator who is present at the meeting in question.

The senators tabled Resolution 15 indefinitely, as it was proposed only in the case that the previous
resolution failed. Resolution 15 would have made proxy voting only available during the circumstance of military leave.

Resolution 16 passed unanimously, allowing senators to request membership on any additional committee they wished to join, up to a certain amount.

The topic of impeachment trials rose during the next resolution, with the Senate deciding to alter the power of impeachment proceedings from the vice president to another member to decrease biases in the case of a trial.

Senators discussed using $150 to fund their Nearly Naked Mile and Sand Volleyball Tournaments during Homecoming week, but quickly tabled the motion after running into a few roadblocks. They plan to regroup and propose another motion during their next meeting.

The final resolution allocated $350 from the senate budget to have student, Richard Boamah, photograph the members for their updated headshots.

Freshman Senate elections close this week on Sept. 15. The Student Senate’s next meeting will be held in Connell Rm 131 on Sept. 26.