Northern State University Too Much for Wayne State College

Zach Nunnenkamp, Sports Writer

Wayne State College Women’s Soccer played at Northern State University in Aberdeen, South Dakota. The story of the game was the offensive output from Northern State, and the lack of defense from the Wildcats. The Wolves won the match 4-0 over the Wildcats. 

WSC’s defense was slow from the beginning of the game till the end. Northern State opened the match with a goal coming at the 6:09 mark of the game from unior midfielder Mia Zagorski. The goal was assisted on by sophomore forward Megan Fastenau.  

That made the score 1-0 Northern State in the first half. The Wildcat’s defense was unable to make the right adjustments and would give up more goals to the opposing Wolves. 

At the 30:25 mark of the first half, Northern State would score again. On an unassisted goal from junior Hannah Smith. This gave the Wolves a 2-0 lead. Northern State would score another goal in the first half. Freshmen Alexis Phillips scored on the assist from sophomore forward Avery Blasdel at the 38:15 mark of the first half. The Wolves would take a 3-0 lead into halftime and be in complete control of the game. 

Northern State had 12 first half shots compared to just 4 from WSC. WSC was unable to get anything going on offense in the first half and that would continue into the second half of the game.  

The only score of the second half would be another goal from Northern State University. Redshirt junior Paige Hutton would extend the Wolves lead to four at the 63:07 mark of the second half. 

WSC had no answer at defending the Wolves. Northern State’s offense was too much for the Wildcats defense. Northern State would finish the match with 21 shots, including 12 on goal. WSC would only have 13 shots, and just six shots on goal. The 3-0 lead at halftime sealed the game. 

Northern State University improves to 4-2 on the year while WSC falls to 0-5-1 this season.