SAB Harry Potter Night

Jackson Kelley, News Writer

Student Activities Board held a Harry Potter night Thursday with activities ranging from potion-making to a scavenger hunt. 

The Harry Potter night started out with Kahoot trivia and after, students could participate in various activities. There was a potion-making activity where students could fill small jars with colored sand and a wand-making activity where students could make their own wand out of chopsticks. There was also a scavenger hunt, a tarot card reading by a professional and a Triwizard Tournament. 

For the wand-making activity students had chopsticks and could glue on anything from ribbons to glitter and much more. “Most wands look like they were whittled by people and so I wanted a whittled look but more glam,” Logan Bakula said. “So that is why it has got gold in it. I wrapped ribbon around it to make it a little thicker as well. Then I put hot glue running down it.” 

The Triwizard Tournament had a few “Minute to Win It” games. There was defying gravity where you had to keep 3 balloons up in the air, a mummy wrap where one player covers another player with toilet paper in, a stack attack where players stack 36 cups in a pyramid and then back to a single stack and a “fruit re-roll up” where players have an unrolled Fruit by the Foot and eat it as fast as possible.  

The Fruit by the Foot was a popular Triwizard Tournament and many students competed to see who could eat them the fastest. The fastest times were by Megan Van Heufeln with 10 seconds and Brittany Ellison with 9 seconds.  

The Harry Potter night was spurred on by past experiences and some creativity. “One of my students last spring was just looking for event ideas and was looking at what some other schools were doing.” Pammy Levinson said, “It was one of those things, they were like Harry Potter would be fun” 

The Harry Potter night is a big event with lots of moving parts. “It is one of our bigger events and I wanted to help out and get students more involved,” Brittany Ellison said, “I Joined SAB at the beginning of last semester and my major is event planning so this is right up my alley with planning events.” Ellison said she wants to bring it [Wayne State College] back to the social school it used to be.