Under new leadership

Boggess declared President after Janzen steps down

Tyler Fransen, Staff Writer

The most pressing agenda point at Sunday’s first Student Senate meeting of the semester was finding a replacement President and Vice-President.

Earlier, it was announced via e-mail to the remaining members of Student Senate that Nolan Janzen would resign as President. This news came in the wake of Nathan Schreiter’s departure as Vice-President.

As if the situation could not get more complicated, Board of Trustrees representative Senator Matt Mullins will be departing to study abroad, which leaves an opening for a chair of the Student Government committee.

Per procedure, the Senate had to dismiss its initial meeting and call to order a separate meeting to address the Senate’s missing executive branch.

After the initial meeting, the Senate took a recess before finding a nominee for President. When recess was over, the nomination took place with one candidate in the running, Senator Nathan Boggess. Boggess was one of the original candidates running against Janzen in spring 2014.

In a clearcut victory, Nathan Boggess was officially declared President for the remainder of the semester.

The next step in the proceedings was the selection of a Vice-President. Boggess made the choice to appoint Senator MaKayla Ptaschek as his choice for Vice-President, which left open the chair position on the Student Government committee.

Senator Justin Aaberg was motioned to be the nominee, but Aaberg declined.

As the current chair, Senator Mullins determined that his vacating the position would not occur until March, so the committee chair would be tabled for later.

All that was left to discuss was the upcoming Casino Night event and its theme. The theme for the night was selected as “Formal,” with some members joking about wearing top hats and monocles.

Senate will resume action on Feb. 1, with a new president and vice-president at the helm.