Next Man Up

Former Wildcat star; Masters trades in helment for headset

J'Ron Erby, Assistant Sports Editor

With recruiting season in full swing, the Wayne State Wildcats coaching staff was looking to add more than just future ‘Cats. They were in need of filling a vacant position of one of their own.

An offensive coordinator.
Days passed, then weeks. Still, no announcement of who would be swooping down like the angel Gabriel, bringing in the good news that they are the missing piece to the Wildcat Football puzzle.

One has to speculate who would even be considered. A current NSIC coach? Maybe a veteran coach at the D1 level, or possibly Wayne State will reach deep into its pockets and counter Michigan’s offer and get ‘ol Jim Harbaugh to stroll on into Wayne.

The correct answer would be D, none of the above.

In 2006, a wiry looking kid with a killer smile from Storm Lake, Iowa who has one of the top 25 coolest last names I have ever heard walks into Wayne State’s locker room, ready for fall camp. The kid would go on to start 11 games as a true freshman, leading the team in receptions, receiving yards, touchdowns, and receiving yards per game.

Did I mention he was a true freshman?

Logan Masters would go on to have one of the best offensive careers this program has seen. Masters finished second on the all-time NSIC career receptions list, set a NCAA Division II record with at least two catches in 46 games (every game he played), multiple preseason All-American honors and was named one of the candidates for the Harlon Hill award.

For the last five years Masters has traded in the helmet for a headset, standing in a place he used to be quite unfamiliar to, the sidelines. Coaching the Wildcat receivers, molding young guys that are in a position he was once in not so long ago. Building young minds, day in and day out, teaching x’s and o’s, slant routes and go’s.

So who might know the Wildcat offense better than anyone else? Who’s been in the system and seen it at its peak? Who is a fierce competitor who is loyal to the Wildcat family?

You guessed it.

Logan Masters, your new interim Offensive Coordinator for the Wayne State Wildcats.

If Masters can coach anywhere near to as good as he could play, get your over-buttered popcorn ready. Future Wildcats and Wildcat fans are in for a treat.