WSC to host successful realtor and speaker, Van Deeb

Jadyn Burenheide, Staff Writer

Wayne State College will host successful realtor and speaker Van Deeb as he presents his tips for success April 5 at 4:00 p.m. in Gardner Hall Auditorium.  

Deeb’s presentation, “The Power of Asking: How to Ask Your Way to Success,” is sponsored by WSC’s Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization and Delta Sigma Pi Eta Pi Chapter. Trish Kolterman, an assistant professor in the Business and Economics Department at WSC, said Deeb will be sharing his strategies for success to students.  

“His topic is the power of asking, and I realize with college students, what holds us back is the fear of rejection, and since we fear it, we don’t ask,” Kolterman said. “It’s one of the keys to success, and Deeb is the perfect speaker to give students those methods for mastering the ask.”  

Deeb, who got his start in real estate, said he created this presentation to show students how to ask for opportunities to help them become successful.  

“The reason why I wrote a book called “The Power of Asking” and the reason why I travel the country talking about it, is because that’s how I made it,” Deeb said. “I did not grow up with money, I had to pay for college, if I wanted a car I had to work for it. I did not have money when I went into business, and I had to ask people for help, not for money, but for opportunity. I teach people how to ask to get these opportunities.”  

Deeb said he believes this presentation will teach students important lessons and skills they are not learning in the classroom.  

“I teach at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, in the entrepreneurship department, but these are skills that you are not going to be taught int the classroom, like answering calls, being responsive, being respectful,” Deeb said. “I’m teaching stuff that they can’t learn in the classroom, these real-world skills.”  

Deeb said he hopes to inspire the students who come to the presentation and show them they can achieve their goals.  

“I love to inspire young people, and they seem to react very well because they know that I have been there and done that,” Deeb said. “I believe that we are all on a level playing field. We just need the tools to accomplish everything in life.”