Student Senate President voices concern of the lack in campus leadership

Blake Aspen, WSC Student Senate President

Over the last few years at Wayne State College, a silent epidemic has sprung upon us. Student leaders are disappearing. 

Several organizations that have historically been the most professional and organized clubs on campus have struggled to find students willing to participate. As I write this, just today, Week of Welcome has extended their application deadline because of a lack of people willing to participate. As Student Senate president, I’ve actively had to recruit and appoint students to the Senate because of a lack of interest in serving on the Senate. Students are afraid to put their name on the ballot, partially out of a fear of criticism. 

If you haven’t lived under a rock, you know by now that I have personally enjoyed my fair share of critics. This hasn’t been a perfect year of Student Senate by any stretch of the imagination. But there are far more Senators who are striving to return to Senate next year. In fact, every single freshman representative is seeking re-election, a feature not seen for several years. 

The vice president-elect remarked that the sense of community on Student Senate this year has been better than he would’ve possibly ever imagined. That is something that I have built and am proud of. 

The casual observer of student politics at WSC might think that Senate is a polarizing and traumatic experience, simply because they read some nonsensical garbage on YikYak. Several have tried to smear me, going so far as to make a ridiculous petition filled with falsehoods. I dedicate a lot of my free time towards organizing meetings and resolutions for Student Senate. Senators participate in some of these responsibilities. I am given a $500 tuition waiver each semester. It’s well past time for the administration to share this amenity with my colleagues. 

For some on Senate, it has become a timely or financial reason as to why they must leave. As I graduate from this place in a few weeks’ time, I believe it is not just a worthy and earned item, but a necessity, for the campus to provide a stipend or waiver for those who step up and answer the call to lead.  

Several of our Senators make the sacrifice of their Sunday night when they have to student teach in Omaha the next day. They sacrifice social events in exchange for committee meetings, to approve new clubs for other students to enjoy. This sacrifice doesn’t just include Student Senate, but for organizations like Week of Welcome, which relies on students to sacrifice a week of their summer break to perform an undoubtably good deed for the campus. 

The stresses of being a leader and an advocate, not just on campus, but in the outside has never been tougher. Too many seek to cancel and destroy that cooperate and progress. My predecessor and I had a shared agreement that despite our outside political differences, we would work together for the betterment of our campus. We accomplished more than many would have predicted, despite fierce resistance. I didn’t always agree with him, nor he with me, but we made a friendship that I will never apologize for. My successor will face the same challenges. But until then, our campus must do more to provide for the casual leader. As I call them, the Taylor Ferences’ and Brett Hilbers’ of the world, who make so much go on that we do not fully appreciate. We must do more for those leaders. When we share a motivation and commitment and a reason to perform, it will make our campus and our institution better.