Discrimination should be everyone’s issue

Flora M. Lee discusses the ‘unity of color’ in memory of Martin Luther King Jr.

Janet Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Sometimes it takes a rude or disrespectful awakening for someone to realize how they want to go about their lives. This was the case for Flora Lee.

In memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the President’s Council for Diversity and the Office of Multicultural Affairs brought WSC alumn, Flora M. Lee to the podium to discuss her struggles and experiences with diversity.

When Lee was growing up, her generation wasn’t allowed to interact with different cultures, as opposed to the wide-spread diversity of today.

At the age of 12, Lee was called a derogatory term by a group of white boys as she was riding along on her new bike down the alley. This frustrated her, as it would frustrate any African American.

From then on, Lee has always stood up and spoken out for herself and others.

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter,” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr said. This is one of Lee’s favorite quotes that summarizes what she stands for.

For Lee, the different races, ethnicities and religions who came together while marching with Martin Luther King Jr. to Selma was the perfect definition of the “unity of color”. Culturally, different groups got together to fight for the same purpose, to create equality in this country.

She stressed how discrimination should be everyone’s issue. Racism, sexism, any kind of “ism,” she speaks for them all. She believes that everyone should be treated equally and has no problem pointing out injustice.

“The thing that struck me the most [about Lee’s presentation] was that education is key to come out of poverty,” freshman Julieta Guerrero said. “It also stuck me when she said if we wanted to make things right, we have to love everyone. Don’t hate another race or put them down, since we are all equal.”

Lee not only gave her input, but she encouraged others to join in in discussion as she talked about the unity of color.

She works for Northwest Area Education Agency in Sioux City as an educational consultant.

She has served in several various professional associations in Iowa, such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the Iowa State Education Association.