WSC Wrestling competes at NCWA Regional Duals in Arizona

Matt Thompson, Sports Editor

The Wayne State wrestling team competed in the 2022 NCWA Regional Duals in Surprise, Arizona on Jan. 22.  

This was the Wildcat’s first time competing at Regional Duals since 2019 due to being shut down from COVID last year.  

Coach Greg Vander Weil was excited to be back out at Reginal Duals after the COVID year.  

“Best Part team bonding and great NCWA competition with guys wrestling well,” Vander Weil said. “Great to be back on the mats after the COVID ‘time out’ year, the team is young, but gaining experience and confidence to compete very well in the post season.”  

“The best part of the tournament was the opportunity to compete in AZ during the coldest week of Winter,” senior captain Ryan Zoucha said. “It made for a nice, small vacation right before we got to business with wrestling on Saturday.”  

The Wildcats came off the day with a 3-2 dual record, with wins over UNLV, Colorado State and Grand Canyon.  

Sophomores Corey Dawe, Dylan Zoucha and junior Jared Atkeson led the team with 13 points.  

In addition to having a winning dual record, seven wildcat wrestlers moved up in rankings too including Junior Tyler Kelly at 125, junior Ryan Zoucha, freshman Isaac Voboril and Zoucha at 174, Dawe and Atkeson at 184, and junior Angel Rojo at 285.  

Looking forward, Ryan Zoucha is confident in the team’s success in the post season.  

The rest of the season is focused on preparing for Conference (national qualifiers) and Nationals (both in Texas),” Ryan Zoucha said. “This dual tournament set a positive tone for us to finish out the very competitive second half of our season.” 

Weil is ready to finish out the season strong.  

“The Wayne State College Wildcat wrestlers are set up and ready to finish the season on top of the podium in Allen Texas March 10-12,” Weil said. 

The Wildcats will compete next at UT Arlington at the Southwest Conference Championships February 27th in Arlington, Texas.