Justin Eagins’s Spotlight

Justin+Eagins+is+a+redshirt+freshman+this+year+on+the+WSC+basketball+team.+

John Campbell

Justin Eagins is a redshirt freshman this year on the WSC basketball team.

Ryan Herek, News Writer

Justin Eagins from Downers Grove, IL is a redshirt freshman this year for Wayne State College’s basketball team. He was named the 2020-2021 NSIC freshmen of the year averaging 8.9 points per game and 3.9 rebounds per game off the bench.

Eagins, an exercise science major, chose WSC because he wanted to be out of state and knew he had a great opportunity to play right away. He sat out as a redshirt in the 2019-2020 season to gain an extra year of eligibility.

“I feel I improved because you gain a lot of experience and knowledge just sitting out and learning the game,” said Eagins.

When it comes to individual goals for the remainder of this season Eagins said he wants to keep boosting his shooting percentages, so his game gets more consistent. As a team they are still focusing on winning the NSIC and the NSIC tournament.

“ I used to see Justin play in the rec sometimes during his redshirt year and thought that he was too good to be sitting out this season,” Coby Hardies, a junior sport management major, said. “Coming to games and watching him this year proved my thoughts to be true. He’s been an absolute tank out there and I can’t wait to see how far this team can go.”

In his first season as a starter Eagins is averaging 16.3 points per game, is shooting 46% from the field, and 4.7 rebounds per game.