Letter to the Editor

Griffin Presnell, WSC Student

Dear Editor,

Yo. How’s it going? Long time reader, first time letter writer. I’ve noticed a growing issue on our beloved campus, of students who have grown disillusioned with the world and think that nothing they can do will change the world. With all that considered, my biggest issue is that none of the students on campus have heard of Gurren Lagann. Gurren Lagann is the 2007 sci-fi anime classic about rising up against your doubts and insecurities and going above and beyond, fighting the power that keeps you down. I see these students walking around talking about anime like Demon Slayer and Attack on Titan, with absolutely no respect for the shows and works that carried anime to become the dynamo in the west it is today. Everybody has tried an anime, whether you grew up watching Naruto or gave Death Note a shot, but Gurren Lagann is a major piece of fiction with an overly positive outlook that you can’t help but carry with you. The tale of Simon the Digger, a young anxious boy who discovers a robot using the powers of drills, and his big bro Kamina instructing him that “His drill is the one that will drill through the heavens”. While on the surface this show seems like it’s nothing but big robots fighting bigger robots, it’s really about the mentality of taking your trauma and moving forward, taking what has shaped you into who you are, and moving forward, because a better day is on the horizon, and it’s up to you to seize it. I won’t say anymore about it, besides that the entire 30-episode series is on Netflix and is a good weekend binge, I just hope that all the people on campus will give it a shot, and fight the power.

See ya later buddy,

Griffin Presnell