Walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland

S.A.B brings holiday cheer to WSC students with free event

Zoey Heimes

A group of WSC students are dressed warmly for their sleigh ride around campus. The Winter Wonderland event featured sleigh rides, a build-a-bear station and other fun activities.

Janet Rodriguez, Staff Writer

You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen,
Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen,
But do you recall
The most famous reindeer of all?
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Okay. Maybe Rudolph didn’t make an appearance, nor did the other reindeer, but there was a set of horses guiding the sleigh that night.

“It was like Christmas, because bells were ringing off of the horses,” junior Ariana Castañon said.

The Student Activities Board (S.A.B) sponsored its annual Winter Wonderland Nov. 20 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Student Center atrium.

There were sleigh rides, photo booths, a build-a-bear station, a marshmallow station, hot chocolate and food.

The sleigh ride appeared to be many students’ favorite.

“The sleigh ride was awesome. We went around campus at a pretty good speed,” sophomore Dan Miller said.

“The sleigh ride was absolutely my favorite. I didn’t expect it to be with horses,” junior Marysol Lopez said. “The weather was perfect that night to stroll around by carriage and take in the scenery of the snowy campus.”

Although many students enjoyed riding around campus, there were those who preferred to interact in the indoor activities, enjoying cups of hot chocolate or warm apple cider.

Like every year, the build-a-bear workshop was a success. Students patiently waited in line for their turn to select an animal of their liking to fluff.

“Build-a-bear was my favorite because I was able to make an elephant, and that’s my favorite animal,” Gia Ryles said.

“I made a penguin named Jo Jo and it was actually harder than what I imagined it would be to stuff the little guy,” Lopez said. “I made sure he came out nice and plump.”

This year, the collection consisted of huskies, elephants, giraffes, tigers and penguins. The animals were also sealed by Velcro as opposed to the zippers that gave students troubles in previous workshops.

“I’m glad they got rid of those zippers the stuffed animals had two years ago,” Johana Vargas said. “I’ve never been able to close my panda.”

There was a competition at the marshmallow station in which students were given marshmallows and toothpicks and had to build some delicious architecture. Students were told to build towers, or anything creative.

What student doesn’t like free things? S.A.B provided students with free WSC mugs to enjoy throughout the winter.

Last, but not least, the photo booth.

Selfies at their finest.

Two photo booths were set up in the atrium with a table full of fun accessories to wear. Students went in groups to get their pictures taken.

“This was my favorite,” freshman Amanda Lewis said. “I’ve been here for a good half hour.”