SAB hosts “Sex in the Dark”

Nathan Reiland-Smith, News Writer

Sex in the Dark, an interactive lecture organized by the Student Activities Board, explores the gaps in sexual education, and general sexual knowledge with complete anonymity, allowing students to ask question through their phone from the audience. The event was held on Nov. 1. in Gardner Hall Auditorium at 7 p.m.

Sex in the Dark was designed to be an anonymous interactive lecture about sexual education. Students would be able to ask any question regarding sex or sexual education with no fear of embarrassment.

To accomplish this, an online survey chat was used to ask questions from the audience. No names or emails were involved with the survey chat. Quite literally, the Sex in the Dark lecture took place in the dark, to further the anonymity of students attending the lecture.

Questions poised to the two lecturers had consisted of STI transmission, sexual orientation, lack of education through public means, and consent, to name a few.

Pam Levinson, the coordinator of the SAB, said this was the first sexual education presentation offered at Wayne State since she has been working here.

“Sex education is an important part of helping students develop not only in their academics, but in their social lives while also being able to explore who they are in a broader way,” Edi Hernandez, the International and Multicultural Program Coordinator, said.

The presenters, Lindsay Fram and Marshall Miller travel across the country giving lectures and seminars on sexual education. Both are from New York State, they are part of a small team who present different programs.

As Fram explained, they are never entirely sure of what the vibe, for lack of a better word, is on a campus. They know it’s a select group of people who choose to attend a program like Sex in the Dark.

“The people who are attending might not be representative of the larger student body, so we make sure when we come into any school, no matter where it is, or what the general perception of that area of the country is,” Fram said.

Fram makes sure they are using language that is inclusive of all sexual identities, that recognizes that people were raised with a lot of different experiences related to talking about sexuality at home, or not at all, sexual education in school, and making sure that we are covering all the bases that everybody feels included in the program.

“Their mission is to make the world a sexually smarter, safer more joyful place,” Fram said. “It’s generally one awkward conversation at a time.”

Students, who will be noted anonymously in this article, attending the program described it as helpful. The anonymity of the program made it easier for the students to ask questions without stress. Others felt awkward about the presentation, and thought the title, “Sex in the Dark” could be interpreted too literally. Overall, they found it to be educational, and gave them information that they would not have known without attending the program.