Judas Goat: the literary magazine by students for students

Autumn McIntyre, News Writer

The Judas Goat is a literary magazine published by students for students.

The Goat was created in 1967 by the WSC Lit Club, and they published all kinds of pieces by students including fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, and artwork using any kind of medium. The 400-level editing and publishing students are in charge of the press and what is published in the Goat, but all WSC students are allowed to submit their work to be in the magazine.

The original publishers of the magazine had a morbid sense of humor. A judas goat is the goat that leads the rest of the goats to slaughter, hence why the covers usually look a little satanic.

Professor Chad Christensen helped publish the Goat during his years at Wayne as a student, and he eventually took over the WSC Press and the editing and publishing classes once he became a full-time professor in 2007. While Christensen no longer teaches the editing and publishing classes, he still enjoys seeing the students’ success.

“My favorite part is seeing the end product. I enjoy seeing students thrive and work towards making a wonderful book,” Christensen said.

Professor Sharon Carr currently teaches the editing and publishing classes and is in charge of the Goat, but she has been working on the magazine since 2014 when she was a student. Carr said that she loves editing things and creating art and working on the magazine went with what she already loved doing.

If a student wants to be a part of the Goat but does not want to submit any work to help with the magazine, Carr suggested for students to enroll in her class or go to some of the events the Goat hosts. However, both professors highly encourage students to submit their pieces for publication.

“We have finished the new issue of the Goat, but it is still in production. The press hopes to have it available to everyone by the end of the semester. We also want to do an open mic for the Judas Goat sometime this year,” Carr said.

The Judas Goat receives submissions until the end of fall every year, and they are currently accepting submissions for next year’s edition at wscpress.com.

“Students have so much doubt about their work,” Christensen said. “I just really hope that students will take advantage of the opportunity to submit their creative writing, and it’s a wonderful opportunity. The Goat is hungry for your submissions.”