10th Annual Geography Bowl will be Nov. 4

The 10th Annual Geography Bowl was on Nov. 4. Graphic courtesy of Kaitlynn Breeden.

Hannah French, News Writing

The 10th annual Geography Bowl will be this Thursday, Nov. 4 starting at 4 p.m. in honor of Geography Awareness Week.

Dr. Lesli Rawlings, a professor at Wayne State College, is the one that coordinates the event. There will be eight teams competing, teams had to sign up in advance in order to participate in the event. There are certain rules that have to be followed during the game, and it is set up like a quiz bowl format.

During the event there will be all sorts of questions asked from different subjects including Literature, Geography, History, Current Events and others. There will be buzzers that the teams will use to answer the questions. Dr. Bertolas will oversee reading the questions to the teams. There is several faculty and students helping to make the event possible.

“I am so thankful for everyone that is helping to make this event happen,” Rawlings said.

Prizes will be handed out to the teams that place first, second, and third. The first-place team will receive a $50 gift certificate to Godfathers in Wayne for each person on the team, and two large atlases. Throughout the event there will be all sorts of prizes handed out to people that attend, it will be kind of like a raffle. Some prizes that are being handed out are inflatable globes, door prizes, maps, T-shirts, bookbags and many other prizes.

The Geography Bowl will be Thursday, Nov. 4 at 4 p.m. in the Frey Conference Suite in the Kanter Student Center. The event lasts until around 5:30 p.m. and is open for anyone to come to watch the eight teams compete against each other. The teams consist of duo partners.

Geography Awareness Week is Nov. 15-19 this year. During this week part of the mission of Geography Awareness Week is to raise excitement about geography for everyone around the world. WSC is taking their part in raising excitement by hosting the geography bowl for students to participate and for people to come watch and have a good time. This is the only event that they host for Geography Awareness Week.

Rawlings encourages people to come and watch the teams compete and to see how much you know.

“We will have Coca Cola products for people to drink while watching,” Rawlings said.

The first time the geography bowl was hosted was in 2011. The pandemic last year postponed the 10th annual Geography Bowl to this year due to not being able to have large crowds.