Ranked Wayne State College takes on #22 Augustana in a top 25 match-up in division two football

Luke Stara, News Writer

The #23 Wayne State Wildcats (5-1), ranked for the first time since October 10, 2011, play the Vikings from Augustana (5-1). The Wildcats are coming off an away win at Mankato, where they beat #11 Minnesota State Mavericks 35-24.
Since sophomore quarterback Tavian Willis was injured, freshman quarterback Nick Bohn has thrown for 816 yards and five touchdowns this season in three games started. Bohn looks to continue his success through the air against the Vikings who have allowed almost 300 yards passing this season against the opponents.
“The whole offense has just picked me up and has helped me this whole season”, Bohn said. “I’m just glad coach gave me a chance…He’s just put his trust in me.”
Head coach John McMenamin has enjoyed the past weeks with this team and has enjoyed the ride the Wildcats have given him in his first full season. “Anytime you put a lot of hard work into something, it makes it hard to win, but it sure makes it fun to win.”
The Wildcats defense has a difficult game against the Vikings who average nearly 42 points per game. Last week, the Wildcats continued their trend of forcing turnovers with four against the Mavericks.
Junior defensive back Kevin Ransom is excited to see where this team can go for the rest of the season. “We’ve been able to come together and trust one another. Trust is one of those things that we might not have had that we have now. No one on the team is selfish.”
The Wildcats lost the most recent matchup with the Vikings 26-13 in 2019 and look to stop the two game win streak of the Vikings.