Wayne State volleyball preview before Sioux Falls Cougars

Luke Stara, News Writer

Wayne State College volleyball returns home with added pressure after winning three games against ranked opponents to take on Sioux Falls on Tuesday September 21.

After finishing runner-up in Regis, CO, Wayne State plays the Sioux Falls Cougars (5-3) for their first home game and first NSIC game of the season.

“The road trip was tough because of the 8 hour bus ride. We weren’t sure going in how we were going to do because we were a new team,” said sophomore right side Elly Larson. Three straight sweeps later, the #17 ranked team in the nation had a statement weekend.

Metro State Denver ended the Wildcats undefeated record and played five sets. According to Larson, the Wildcats made too many errors against Metro State, which leads to a loss to a team with the MVP of the tournament. The Wildcats performance earned them #5 ranking in the NCAA Division II rankings.

The Wildcats had a road trip in Minnesota against #16 Minnesota Duluth and #23 St. Cloud State. The Wildcats beat Minnesota Duluth three sets to one. The Wildcats won 28-26 in the first set, 25-19 in the second set, lost the third set 19-25 , and 25-17 in the final set. St. Cloud State took down the Wildcats, winning three sets to one. The Huskies won the first set 25-11, won the second 25-20, lost the third set 18-25, and won the final set 25-18.

Head coach Scott Kneifl wants the team to take every game one at a time and not add pressure to the team. The team must keep working hard and push each other to better others on the team.

Wayne State volleyball will have fans back in Wayne for the first time in two years. “We’re hoping we’ll have a lot of people there. It’s been two months since we started practicing,”, said Larson.

The Wildcats look to eliminate their mistakes and see the young team grow as the season goes on.

The Wildcats play the Sioux Falls Cougars on Tuesday September 21 in Rice Auditorium at 6 p.m.