Wildcat track and field teams compete in Missouri

Brianna Crouch, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College women’s indoor track and field team had three event wins and two NCAA provisional marks Jan. 30 at the Herschel Neil Invite hosted by Northwest Missouri State in Maryville, Missouri. The meet consisted of 12 teams in NCAA Division II, NAIA and junior college ranks from Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas.  

Wayne State conquered the throwing events with six of seven finishers in the weight throw. Junior McKenzie Scheil took first place and made an NCAA provisional mark of 60’ 7 3/4 which is a 10th place rank in NCAA DII. Jadin Wagner also had a provisional mark of 57’ 8 1/2and placed third at the meet. Nicole Heeren threw fourth place in the weight throw (51’ 9 1/4”) followed by Kenzie Sullivan in fifth (50’ 8 3/4”), Sarah Stang sixth (49’ 3 3/4”) and Kendra Paasch in seventh (48’ 4”). 

Other Wildcat wins in the running events came from freshman Megan Hansen, who sped through the finish line first in the 60-meter hurdle finals with a time of 8.94 seconds. Junior Jordyn Pester had a third-place finish in the 400-meter dash with a time of 59.01 seconds with fifth place finishes coming from freshman Brooke Solomon in the 5,000-meter run (19:20) and Brianna Crouch in the 1,000-meter run at 3:20 and Kim Johnson finished close behind in seventh place with the time of 3:21. Hanna Lazure placed eighth in the high jump clearing 5’ 1/4”, Riana Noel in the triple jump at 33’ 9 1/4”, Keyla Sambo in the long jump (15’ 9 1/2”) and Amanda Mote in the one mile run with the time of 6:07.  

The men’s indoor track and field team also competed Saturday at the Herschel Neil Invite hosted by Northwest Missouri State in Maryville, Missouri. Top finishers included Cade Kalkowski in the weight throw with a first-place finish (65’ 0) and Cole Christoffersen followed behind in second at 61’ 2” with Grant Fritsch placing fifth at 48’ 0”. 

In the high jump, freshman Dylan Kneifl came in second clearing a season-best 6’6” with Aaron English coming in fourth clearing 6’2”. 

Other top Wayne State finishers came from Brock Hegarty in the one mile run finishing in second place at 4:25 with Brandon Mundorf placing eighth with the time of 4:37. Senior Bailey Peckham was third in the 5,000-meter run at 16:02 with freshman Collin Kotz coming in seventh (16:49). Noah Lily finished sixth in the 60-meter hurdle finals in 8.74 seconds and Michael Kueny finished sixth in the 600-yard dash (1:16). Mikhail Sands finished fifth in the long jump (21’ 5 1/4”). 

The Wildcats traveled to North Dakota State University to compete at the Bison Open in Fargo, North Dakota on Feb. 5 

The teams will next compete in the Washburn invitational on Feb. 13 in Topeka, Kansas.