“Nasferatu” to be shown Thursday at Majestic Theatre

Hap-gu Morgan, Staff Writer

Wayne State College has seen several changes this year due to the pandemic, but it still managed to keep the Halloween spirit by playing the classic horror film “Nosferatu.”

“Nosferatu” is hosted by the WSC Media Club and Wayne’s Majestic Theatre, located at 310 Main St. The film will be free and open to the public and begins at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 29.

The event is more than not only gives attendees a chance to watch a free movie, but it allows individuals to show their “inner goth.” Attendees are encouraged and invited to dress in their best goth attire in celebration of Halloween.

Health measures also will be in place, masks will be required while attendees are being seated and while ordering concessions. Masks are not required, however, when one is seated and watching the movie.

“Nosferatu” is a 1922 cinematic horror that many media students are excited to experience on the big screen. Shelby Hagerdon, a Wayne State College media student said “Nosferatu’ is a fascinating study.

“Looking at it historically, it’s so innovative,” Hagerdon said. “This is a German Expressionist film, and this genre has had a profound impact on todays’ horror.”

“Nosferatu” is an adaption to Bram Stokers 1897 novel Dracula and stars Max Schreck, who plays the main character, Count Orlock. Count Orlock is the vampire looking for a young wife, all while being a murderous monster.

Besides it being the perfect Halloween horror film, it has so many factors that made it chilling and beautiful, Hagerdon said.

“The use of shadow in the film is incredible. You can see the elongated shadow of the vampire before you even see his physical form in some scenes,” Hagerdon said. “How Murnau was able to manipulate light and shadow is just remarkable. If you are someone interested in film, love horror movies, or are just looking to experience something new, this is a great film to check out.”

Dr. Michael White, assistant professor of communication arts, has remastered the film for modern cinema, as well as enhancing the orchestral score with 5.1 Dolby sound. White also incorporated the addition of an old cinema projector sound to give viewers an “old, classic theatre” feeling.

“A lot of work went into creating the film version for the cinema, and we have a couple of fun surprises for the event, so it should be a great time for everyone whether you’ve seen the movie already or not,” White said