Impact of COVID-19 on campus clubs

Lydia Hartvigsen, Staff Writer

Wayne State is working to find ways for students to continue being involved in clubs and intramural sports amid ongoing health restrictions, and they’ve subsequently organized a system to keep students safe while achieving this objective.

“Just like for any other event that we do we are following the directive health measures that are in place right now,” said Tiffany Dearstone, the director of student activities.

According to Dearstone, in order for a club to hold an event they have to fill out an event form and meet with her to go over their event.

“COVID has forced our group to make a decision as to whether or not we should be meeting in person or online via Zoom,” Adam Smith, the president of PRIDE, said. “Because so many members of our community enjoy having an in-person interaction with one another, we are going to do the best we can to meet in person.”

Despite the threat of the virus, there is still hope of hosting bigger events in a few months when health restrictions could potentially loosen.

“We are hopeful that we can plan some sort of drag show event in the Spring as well as many other fun events that make our LGBTQ+ students feel valued and welcomed here at Wayne State,” Smith said.