Morning Worship with CRU

Amanda Krehbiel, Staff Writer

There’s a little-known secret about the campus’s biggest recognized organization.

Peter Mutayoba loves to worship and praise God. That’s why every weekday morning at 6:30 a.m. in Gardner Hall, he creates an atmosphere where other believers can come and do the same.

“This summer I got saved. Earlier this year, most of my friends graduated. I was on my own to pursue the Lord,” he said.

Mutayoba discovered a book called “The 30-Day Praise Challenge” by Becky Harling and jumped on the opportunity.

“I was transformed again,” Mutayoba said.

Because of his experience, he wanted to help other believers worship as well.

Morning worship is organized by Campus Crusade for Christ—commonly known as Cru—which is a non-denominational Christian ministry on college campuses throughout the nation. Morning worship is from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. every weekday and consists of singing and prayer.

Mutayoba finds worship songs to play over the speakers, and attendees either listen and meditate, or sing and worship.
“Since I started [morning worship] I thought I had to be here to make sure everything runs smoothly,” Mutayoba said.

And that he does. He laughed when the early time was mentioned, saying that it’s hard for him too. Nonetheless he shows up and makes sure everything is in order.

The morning ends with a time of prayer, when believers come together and pray for each other.

Mutayoba is planning to work with Crosspoint Ministries to host an open house breakfast sometime this month. There will be more information released at a later date.

Each session is open to everyone on or off campus.

“I know it’s a tricky time, 6:30 to 7:30,” Mutayoba said. “By all means, come.”