Track has a quick start

Evelyn Knox, Staff Writer

The Wayne State men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled up north to Mankato, Minnesota, to compete at the Mark Schuck/Minnesota State Open held at the Myers Fieldhouse.

On the men’s side, Cade Kalkowski and Dylan Kaup led a 2-3 finish for WSC in the weight throw with marks of 64’ 1” and 61’ 1” posting top three finishes.

Bryce Holcomb recorded a second place finish in the 600-meter dash with a time of 1:23.97. Brock Hegarty posted a third place finish for the Wildcats in the 1,000-meter run with a time of 2:37.21.

“I think overall we had a solid meet with a lot of personal bests across the board,” Kalkowski said. “We have a solid routine when we prepare for meets. We always want to compete at every meet to the best of our ability.”

The Wayne State men’s 4 x 400 meter relay team of Preston Davis, Holcomb, Nathan Pearson and Michael Kueny recorded an eighth place finish with a time of 3:41.18.

Other Wildcats finished in the top five in the Minnesota State Open: Mikhail Sands in the long jump (21’ 3 1/2”), Aaron English in the high jump (6’ 1 1/2”) and Pearson in the 600-meter dash with a time of 1:24.33.

The women’s side was paced by Mikayla Marvin and Jordyn Pester, who each recorded third-place finishes in the Mark Schuck/Minnesota State Open at the Myers Fieldhouse in Mankato, Minnesota.

“The meet this weekend went very well. We saw a lot of teams from the NSIC there, so it was great preparation for the indoor championships in just under a month,” Sophomore Marin Jetensky said. Marvin posted the third-place finish in the pole vault clearing 10’ 6” while Pester crossed the finish line in 1:00.11 in the 400-meter dash.

The Wildcat 4 x 400 meter relay team of Pester, Jetensky, Joan Jelimo and Brianna Crouch came in sixth place in a time of 4:13.00.

Mckenzie Scheil recorded a pair of fifth place finishes in the weight throw (59’ 44 1/4”) and in the shot put (43’10 1/2”). Jelimo took the sixth place spot in the 600-meter dash with a time of 1:41.33.

“The NSIC is one of the toughest conferences in DII in my opinion,” Jetensky said. “We have been working really hard since we got back from break and everyone is starting to see result. A lot of people did really well on both sides and either PR’d or qualified for conference.”

In order to qualify for conference, athletes must be in the top 30 of their event.

The Wayne State men’s and women’s track and field teams will be back in action this upcoming weekend at the UN Husker Invite in Lincoln and the University of South Dakota Invite in Vermillion on Friday, Feb.7 and Saturday, Feb. 8.