Football shuts out Upper Iowa 62-0

Otis Hopkins, Staff Writer

Wayne State College showed up big in the Egg Bowl on Saturday, shutting out the University of Upper Iowa Peacocks 62-0.

With the win, WSC improved their record to 4-6 while dropping Upper Iowa to 2-8. The Wildcats also set a new shutout win with the previous record being a 41-0-win in 2009. Wayne State hosted the 31st Annual Egg Bowl and after the game players won MVP honors with one going to redshirt freshman Devin Merkuris.

Merkuris rushed for 187 yards in 16 carries on Saturday and a total of 237 yards of total offense. Merkuris had two touchdowns as well.

“It felt good winning Egg Bowl MVP,” Merkuris said. “When I am on the field, I just try best to help the team in any way I can.”

Wayne State’s offense rushed for over 400 yards and had 559 total yards. WSC came out strong in the first quarter making the score 14-0. Redshirt freshman Andy McCance threw a touchdown pass to Taurean Grady for the first touchdown. On WSC’s second possession, Merkuris ran for a 85-yard touchdown which became the third longest run from scrimmage by a Wayne State running back.

During the second quarter there was only one score on a touchdown pass from McCance to wide receiver Mason Lee with around a minute left making the score 24-0.

In the third quarter, Wayne State ran the ball eight times. Merkuris finished the drive with a one-yard run, making the score 31-0.

To close out the third quarter, junior linebacker Jalen Burgess intercepted a pass and returned it for a 48-yard touchdown, making the score 38-0.

Wildcat kicker Ethan Knudson started off the fourth quarter with a field goal. Later in the fourth, running back Ryann Wilkins had two touchdowns to help the ‘Cats go up 55-0.

To close out the game, WSC running back Deshawn Massey had a 20-yard run making the final score 62-0.

Safety Kevin Ransom was really excited after the huge shutout win. Ransom has been starting strong safety for Wayne State for three years.

“We needed this we have a good team and if we keep taking steps forward like this,” Ransom said. “I can see us doing this to teams more often.”

Wayne State’s final home game will be next Saturday against the University of Sioux Falls in a 1 p.m. contest.

Michaela Timmerman
Senior Jacob Protzman takes down an Upper Iowa opponent in Saturday’s contest.