Volleyball sweeps two NSIC opponents

Evelyn Knox, Staff Writer

The #13 Wayne State volleyball team swept this past weekend on the road, going 2-0 against NSIC opponents Minot State University and the University of Mary. The Wildcats are now 22-5 overall and 13-5 in conference play.

“The games went well this weekend,” junior Jaci Brahmer said. “The teams we played were not top teams in our conference so these games were definitely ones we were supposed to win, so I’m glad that we were able to do that and better yet, do it in three sets both matches.”

The first game of the weekend, in a sweep over Minot State, was led by senior Tarrin Beller and freshman Kelsie Cada with 12 kills each in the match on Friday afternoon.

Wayne State completed the match 3-0 over Minot with a .260 attack percentage on 127 attacks, 44 kills and 11 errors. WSC also held the advantage in digs over Minot 58-47 while also having no service errors.

Junior Hope Carter also contributed to the win with 15 digs while senior Haley Kauth accounted for 10. Freshman Rachel Walker racked in 31 assists in the win for the ‘Cats.

In the second game of the weekend, WSC easily swept the Mauraders led by Beller with 15 kills on the match and a team-high eight blocks. Cada and Alyssa Ballenger each produced 10 kills for the ‘Cats.

As a team, the ‘Cats were efficient with a .419 attack percentage while recording 93 attacks, 43 kills and seven errors on the match. Walker lead the team in assists with 38 in the match.

WSC held a 49-39 advantage in digs over the University of Mary, led by Kauth with a team-high of 17 on the match. WSC also led the Marauders in blocks 10-3 and had seven service aces.

“When we prepared for this weekend, we were focused on one game at a time and we never overlooked a single point,” Kauth said. “After the sweeps we were really excited but now we are turning our focus to the next game.”

Wayne State will be back in action this weekend at home against NSIC opponents Minnesota State University Moorhead on Friday, and Northern State University on Saturday.

“It felt great getting two more good wins on the road,” Brahmer said. “We are hoping to carry that momentum into our next three games so we can finish out the regular season strong and have that same momentum going into the conference tournament.”