Women’s bball looks to tip off season on positive note

Marquise Jones, Staff Writer

The Wayne State women’s basketball team is looking to make a big time run this season after an exciting NSIC Tournament quarterfinals appearance last season.

The Wildcats return three starters from last season. Junior forward Erin Norling is coming back this season. She led the team last year with 15.7 ppg to go along with 5.5 rebounds. These stats got her an All-NSIC first team selection, as well as academic All-American honors and team MVP. She was named the Wildcat Player to Watch this season for the second straight year.

Junior Halley Busse is looking to have a big year at point guard. She started all 30 games for the Wildcats last season, averaging 11.7 points. She ranked fifth in the NSIC in assists per game with 3.6, and 11th in 3-point percentage. Her 2018-19 season was highlighted by a game-winning three point shot at Mankato against the Minnesota State Mavericks with 1.8 seconds remaining. Busse was named to the NSIC Winter All-Academic team.

Junior center Brittany Bongartz started 24 games last season averaging 12.8 points, and 6.2 rebounds per game. The Ramsey, Minnesota native was 13th in the NSIC in field goal percentage and had a team high five double-doubles last season. She was also named to the NSIC winter All-Academic team.

There are six freshmen added to the roster this season.

“I think all of the new players will have an impact on the team,” senior Haley Vesey said. “We all have different roles whether it be on the court, or off the court.”

The Wildcats were selected 11th in the NSIC preseason poll, and fifth in the South Division after going 15-15 last season. Their season ended last year with a quarter final loss to Sioux Falls.

“We have been practicing together for a while,” Vesey said. “So I think we are all ready to start playing some games to truly see where we are at as a team.”

The ‘Cats start their season at the Nebraska Kearney tournament with a game against Northwest Missouri State Friday Nov. 8 at 5 p.m. They open NSIC play Saturday Nov. 30 in Wayne against the Augustana Vikings at 3:30 p.m.