Soccer goes 2-1-1, improving to 5-4-4

Ronan Urvina, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College soccer team dominated Upper Iowa and Winona State, tied against Northern State and lost against MSU Moorhead. The Wildcats are now 5-4-4 on the season.

The ’Cats faced Upper Iowa on Oct. 11 playing in cold and windy conditions, which greatly affected how the ball was played. Both teams recorded four shots in a scoreless first half, despite Upper Iowa holding a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks. Until sophomore midfielder Megan Phillips was able to sail a 25-yard shot over Upper Iowa’s goalkeeper bringing the Wildcats to a 1-0 score. Wildcat senior goalkeeper Rachel Grisham came up with her seventh and final save to maintain the 1-0 score in the end.

In the game against Winona State, the soccer team was able to keep their three win streak going. As they finished the match with a 2-1 score, with sophomore Madison Kemp and senior Carleigh Wilson managing to score.

“It has been an incredible couple of weeks being able to play on our home field in front of our amazing fans,” freshman Defender Tori Solley said.

The ‘Cats defeated Winona State for the first time in the history of the program.

“It was extra special coming away with historical wins against very competitive teams.” Solley said.

The Wildcats ended the match against Northern State in a draw, after Northern State struck for a goal early in the second half for a 1-0 lead. The score remained 1-0 until the final four minutes of the match when junior Megan Schuster placed a header past NSU’s goalkeeper.

The Dragons scored a goal off a corner kick within 15 minutes remaining to give Moorhead a 1-0 victory over WSC.

“We put in the effort but couldn’t find the net,” Phillips said. “We’re going to continue to keep working on things to get the results we want by implementing the tactics we learn in practice to put the ball in the back of the net.”

Wayne State will be on the road for their upcoming contests, visiting Bemidji State Friday at 6 p.m. and Minnesota Crookston Sunday for a 1 p.m. game.

Julia Baxter