Acting performance is ‘All in the Timing’

Kyle Swallow, Staff Writer

Rusty Ruth, the director of theatre at Wayne State College, put on “All in the Timing,” a set of six one-act plays, in the Black Box Theatre at the Peterson Fine Arts building from Oct. 3 to Oct. 6.

“This is a show that has a wonderful mixture of levity and poignant moments,” Ruth said.

“All in the Timing is a collection of short comedic plays that each involve their own ups, downs, revelations and somber moments,” senior Dakota Schroll said. Schroll plays Don, a professor that teaches a passerby the universal language of Unamunda.

Schroll stars in “Universal Language” with Maria Ostry and Miranda Trowbridge. The other plays featured included: “Sure Thing” starring Daniel Oldenkamp and Sophie Pascoe; “Words, Words, Words” starred Griffin Presnell, Caleb Cohen and Hannah Urban; “Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread” starred Nathaniel Ruhl, Jaci Torres, Amanda Stuhr and Sarah Wibben; “The Philadelphia” starred Claire Barnes, Austin Burkhardt and Jack Osnes; and “Variations on the Death of Trotsky” starred Benjamin Bjorklund, Kaylee Moe and Christopher Cruz.

Schroll and Ruth felt satisfied with how this production turned out.

“In all, I would have to say that the end product is something that met and exceeded my expectations because it all came together in a unique way,” Schroll said.

“I have loved every second being a part of this project,” Ruth said. “The actors understood their scenes and how to make themselves believable to the audience.”

Both Schroll and Ruth said getting into acting is important and that everyone should just go for it.

“Anyone can act and it’s never too late to get involved,” Ruth said. “[The WSC Drama and Comedy Clubs] are always looking for people to be involved with every aspect and I hope that any interested students will seek us out. We are very welcoming.”

“If you really want to get into acting, just dive into it,” Schroll said. “Acting should be a fun experience and should be something that you love, and if you have a passion for it, you should explore it. Don’t let an opportunity pass you by.”