Rec center offers new programs

• ● This works for all three- The WSC Recreational Center has expanded the opportunities it offers for student exercise classes to now include not only the spin class and Zumba, but also a pound class, growfit class, and strength training.

Linnea Vogel, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College rec center began offering three new exercise programs: Grow Fit, Weight Training 101 and Pound. Mike Berry, WSC associate director of athletics, said two instructors, Deborah Sobotka and Ashley Wieland, teach the classes. Sobotka teaches Grow Fit and Weight Lifting 101, while Wieland teaches Pound.

According to Berry, Pound is a program that combines cardio and strength training with making music. Participants exercise using drum sticks to pound on the ground. Pound is offered every Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.

“It was a really hilarious distraction from the exercises we were actually doing,” Megan Tofflemire, a WSC junior, said. “I couldn’t stop laughing because it feels so ridiculous, but it is actually such a fun and fresh way to get a workout in.”

Sobotka said Weight Lifting 101 is basic weight lifting. The purpose of the program is to walk participants through different lifts and teach them how to do each one, and then practice the lifts.

Weight Lifting 101 is offered from 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. every Monday through Thursday.

“As we progress through this program, the idea is that we will be lifting weights after learning how,” Sobotka said. “I’ll just give them their six exercises and be there if they have any questions.”

Sobotka said Grow Fit is a high-intensity group fitness program and is for building a community for people who are like-minded when it comes to health. Any skill level is welcome because each workout can be adapted for any health issue. Grow Fit is offered 3 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. every Monday through Thursday.

“This program is different every day,” Sobotka said. “It is fun because it is with other people and it is high intensity.”

The rec center has also continued to offer Spin Class and Zumba taught by Wieland, and provides a program called Fitness on Demand.

Spin class is offered Mondays from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., Zumba is scheduled on Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Fitness on Demand can be accessed any time the rec center is open. Students and staff just have to ask the desk for the key to Room 203 and follow the steps posted to set up their desired workout, according to Berry.

“These are all fitness classes where you’re working hard,” Berry said.

Berry said the rec center recently set up a new app for its televisions in the cardio room. The app is called Audio Fetch and is free to download and use. It plays the sound from the television directly through the individual’s headphones, so students can watch and listen to the TVs while working out.

All instructed programs—Pound, Weight Training 101, Grow Fit, Zumba and Spin Class—require pre-registration. To register, students and staff can go to the WSC rec center webpage and choose their class. The rec center and all its programs are free to any WSC students and staff.

Julia Baxter
The WSC Recreational Center has expanded the opportunities it offers for student exercise classes to now include not only the spin class and Zumba, but also a pound class, growfit class, and strength training.