Counseling center offers support

• Deb Weber is sitting at the receptionist desk in 2019, and, like all of the other staff involved in making the WSC Counseling Center run, she is always ready to assist new and returning students.

Llolanda Hernandez, Staff Writer

Only a few weeks into the start of the fall semester, Wayne State College freshmen and transfer students are still getting used to life in Wayne, America.

“At first it was a little change from Northeast Community College, so, of course, I saw all the differences between both colleges, and I really missed Northeast,” transfer student Mariela Millan said.

Freshmen and transfer students must learn to adjust to a different type of setting, new faces and new teachers — a task that comes differently for each individual.

“Making friends and connecting with others is also sometimes difficult at college because students have to make an effort to meet people,” WSC director of counseling Alicia Dorcey said.

For students fresh out of high school, this can be an even more worrisome transition. They don’t know what to expect out of classes or new peers.

“This can be intimidating for some students, especially if they come from a close nit social group in their high school,” Dorcey said.

To help students combat the transition worries, WSC offers a variety of services, one being counseling.

“The counselors at the counseling center can help students manage anxiety, develop skills to meet new people and help alleviate fears and self-doubt,” Dorcey said. “The counselors work with students to develop a plan to become active on campus and use the resources available to them.”

Many students have already felt welcomed and gone into counseling offices to ask for advice.

“We have seen many freshmen coming into the counseling center, which I think is great,” Dorcey said. “Students are being proactive to manage their mental health, including the stressors of college.”

While some students do visit the counseling center, others can be more reluctant to head into the offices.

“I think some people are fearful of coming to counseling because it is unknown and requires them to talk about themselves and their concerns,” Dorcey said. “But our staff is very friendly and easy to talk to.”

Some students don’t feel anxious, especially ones that have already begun their school activities or sports, but being involved in activities on campus allows one to socialize rather than just go from class to class.

“I don’t think I’d have as many friends if I wasn’t in football but since most of us are on the same schedule it’s just easier for football guys to hang out,” freshman Jalen Robinson said.

Like many students, Robinson said he was worried after hearing how college is more difficult than high school.

“It’s been a lot easier than I thought,” Robinson said. “Honestly, high school makes college sound so rough and it’s not. The hardest part so far was trying to get into a college that was affordable and now that I’m here, everything has flowed smooth even with football going on. I feel it’s a good fit but then again I’m only a few weeks in it could easily get harder, but right now I feel great.”

Students who transfer from smaller colleges can find changes difficult. Andrew Millan has been at Wayne State student for more than two years now and said he has integrated into the college.

“At first I felt a little overwhelmed making friends, but everyone was super friendly, making it super easy to become friends through the years,” Millan said.

Wayne State College has become home for students; some found their own college routine through counseling, while others went head on alone through the transition.

“I’ve made so many friends and the teacher to student ration is amazing because they’re always there to help you with any questions you might have,” Millan said. “It’s just the perfect size for someone to get around.”

The WSC Counseling Center is in the Student Center, room 103, and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“If you feel homesick or questioning if you made the right decision, come talk to one of our counselors,” Dorcey said. “We can help you make decisions about your future.”

Julia Baxter
Deb Weber is sitting at the receptionist desk and, like all of the other staff involved in making the WSC Counseling Center run, she is always ready to assist new and returning students.