Beach v-ball, women’s golf added to Wildcat athletics

Kyle Swallow, Staff Writer

Wayne State added two sports teams over the summer, beach volleyball and women’s golf.

WSC Women’s Golf was suspended in 2013 and is now making a return. The program was originally created in 1990 and competed in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference.

The women’s golf coaches will spend the 2019-20 academic year recruiting for the team and begin competition in the 2020-21 academic year. Joey Baldwin will be the women’s golf head coach. Baldwin has plenty of experience in golf and in coaching. Baldwin has received instruction from many prominent coaches on his golf swing and has coached youth baseball and basketball in Wayne for the past six years.

The beach volleyball team will compete in the NCAA’s National Collegiate Division for beach volleyball.

The addition of beach volleyball will add about 15 student athlete opportunities for the Wildcat women. The beach volleyball team will primarily be the same athletes that compete on the WSC volleyball team in the fall. Competition will begin in the spring of 2020.

WSC will become the 18th program in NCAA Division II to add beach volleyball. Beach volleyball will have two player teams and each team will have five pairs. A team must win three matches to be the winner of the whole game. Each match will have three sets – the first two to 21 points and the last to only 15. Coach Scott Kneifl will be the head coach of the beach volleyball team with Kim DePew as the assistant coach.