Wayne State’s biggest fan

Justise Brundage

Kevan Weldon, a custodian in Rice Auditorium, is an avid Wayne State Wildcats fan.

Justise Brundage, Staff Writer

He bleeds black and gold. He is Wayne State’s biggest fan.

Kevan Weldon is a custodian for Rice Auditorium and the Rec Center. His day starts out at noon and ends at nine.

Weldon is in charge of keeping the classrooms and building looking squeaky clean. He is also there in case of any messes at sporting events.

“I do whatever they need for the facilities and make sure everything is clean for the staff and students,” Weldon said. “That’s why I come do the job I do– for the staff and students. I love getting up in the morning and coming to work.”

Weldon is a graduate from Wayne State with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice. His love for the Wildcats blossomed in college.

“I started going to basketball games when I was a student here,” Weldon said. “It’s a tie between football, volleyball, and basketball for my favorite. But I’m an avid follower of all the sports.”

Weldon attends all home sporting events, including softball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, football and basketball.

Ladies, this man is single, but you can never replace Weldon’s first love of Wayne State.

“Wayne is like a family in its own. The athletic department, staff and students have been real good to me,” Weldon said.

Weldon moved back to Wayne in 2006 and has been part of the staff since 2008.
“I love the atmosphere of Wayne. Everyone is so friendly, the students are very respectful, and I couldn’t find a better place to work and to live,” Weldon said. “The topping of the cake is that I got my degree here.”

In Weldon’s spare time he is always at a home sporting event, but if the Wildcats are on the road or have a bye week, he loves to visit his family.

“I have an uncle back home in the Columbus area, and I like seeing my two nephews,” Weldon said. “My sister lives in Valentine and I visit her.”

You can always find him at the games socializing with others.

Among all the memorable events he has witnessed here, he says graduating was his favorite memory of Wayne State.

“Best memory would have to be in 1999, when I graduated with honors and was the first one in my family to get a bachelor’s degree,” Weldon said.

Weldon doesn’t ask for much. He just wants to stay in Wayne and serve the people he calls family.

“I just want to be here for the fellow staff members, faculty, students, athletic department and Wayne community,” Weldon said. “And keep supporting Wildcat athletics, just keep living the dream.”