Janssen and Busse gain experience in DII Brazil Tour

Evelyn Knox, Staff Writer

Wayne State basketball players Jordan Janssen (sophomore) and Halley Busse (junior) were selected to participate in the 10 day USA DII men’s and women’s basketball Brazil Tour this past July in Jundiai, Brazil. Both the women’s and men’s teams were 4-0 in their respective tours.

Sophomore men’s basketball guard Nick Ferrarini was also selected to play in the Brazil Tour, but could not participate due to injury.

Janssen is a 6’7” sophomore forward from Lincoln, Nebraska who had a breakout freshman season for the Wildcats leading WSC to a 21-10 season. Janssen averaged 11.7 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.

“Even though the tour was in July, it really made me excited for the upcoming season,” Janssen said. “It was hard at first playing against players that I didn’t know and had never played with before but it was still cool getting to connect with them and play their style of basketball.”

Busse, a 5’5” junior point guard from Winthrop, Minnesota averaged 11.7 points and 3.5 rebounds per contest in the 2018-2019 season for the ’Cats. Busse was ranked 5th in the NSIC in assists per game.

The trip was highlighted by the players hosting youth clinics in the city of Jundiai, and lodging at the famous Copacabana Beach. The teams also had the luxury of touring Sugar Loaf Mountain and the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, both of which are world famous landmarks.

“It was truly amazing getting to see one of the Seven Wonders of the World,” Busse said. “It is a once in the lifetime experience that I wish all student athletes could take the opportunity to enjoy.”

The teams consisted of 10 players from the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association, and the Great Lakes Valley Conference. Players were told to bring gear from their respective schools to trade with other opponents after games to help build international relationships.

“The coolest thing about the trip by far was being able to connect with the Brazilian athletes after games,” Busse said. “It was really interesting communicating with them after the games and learning about their culture.”

The Wayne State women’s basketball team will kick off their season Friday, Nov. 8 against non-conference opponent Northwest Missouri State in the University of Kearney Crossover Tournament hosted by the Lopers.

The WSC men’s basketball team will begin play Friday, Nov. 1 against non-conference opponent Ferris State University in the CCA Division II Tip-off Classic in Orange, California.

Halley Busse and Jordan Jansssen competed at the DII Brazil Tour in Jundiai in July.