Softball team looking to improve record while on Florida trip

Evelyn Knox, Reporter

The Wayne State softball team fell to 1-5 on the season after losing non-conference doubleheader games to Missouri Southern in Joplin, Missouri. WSC’s doubleheader at Southwest Baptist on Friday Feb. 22 was cancelled due to weather.

In the first game of the doubleheader, WSC trailed Missouri Southern 0-6 in the first four innings before getting on the board in the fifth, with one run from senior Morgan Vasa. Sophomore third baseman, Ashley Hernandez also had a bases loaded walk to score Vasa.

“We have had a lot of challenges thus far not being able to play on dirt much but we are all excited to get some good games in on our spring break trip to Florida,” senior Abbie Hix said. “Everyone has stepped up and has contributed in positive ways, I am really excited to see where this team can go from our rough start.”

Sophomore catcher Raquell Penke led Wayne State offensively going 2 for 3 with a double, followed by Vasa, Hix, Kamryn Sparks, and Michaela Smith who each singled.

“There were definitely factors that came into play this weekend that were out of our control that we struggled with a bit, but we stuck together as a team and tried to overcome the adversity,” Vasa said. “We always had a good positive energy even when things were not going our way.”

Sophomore starting pitcher Maddie Moser (0-3) suffered a tough pitching loss that resulted from allowing six runs and two earned on seven hits with two strikeouts and two walks. Senior pitcher Riley Vanderveen pitched only one inning, giving up no hits and one walk.

In the second game of the doubleheader, WSC fell 0-1. WSC had four hits in the second contest, led by Penke who went 2 for 3 with a double, followed by Vasa and Sparks who teach singled.

“Everyone plays an important role on the team and there is great leadership, not only from the seniors but from the juniors and sophomores as well,” Vasa said. “We just need to put it all together, starting each and every day in practice. Once we learn to do that and put it all together at once, we should be sitting pretty well I would say.”

Freshman pitcher Makenna Atkinson gave up just three hits and one run in the second contest, with two walks and two strikeouts.

“As we head to Florida, our main goal is to come back with a .500 record or above and our team is more than capable of accomplishing that,” Hix said.

Wayne State will be back in action March 3 during the Wildcats’ annual spring break trip to the National Training Center Spring Games in Florida. WSC is scheduled to play non- conference opponents Tiffin University (Ohio) and Clarion University (Pennsylvania).