Voyeurism in Bowen still under investigation by Wayne Police

Article of the Week

Kaitlynn Breeden, Reporter

The voyeurism incident that occurred on Jan. 26 in Bowen Hall remains under investigation by both the Wayne Police department and Wayne State College administration. The alleged suspect remains banned from Bowen Hall but still resides and attends classes on campus.

The Wayne Police and WSC administration refuse to provide any specific details about their respective investigations. The lack of communication has many students feeling like nothing is being done to ensure student safety.

“WSC should have alerted everyone that there has been an incident,” said Katelyn Irby, a WSC freshman and resident of Bowen Hall. “Some people still don’t know about it, and the only other way other people know is through social media, and by word of other students. [WSC] should be devising a plan to further ensure the safety of students on campus such as security cameras in hallways.”

Although it may appear that nothing is being done, Jay Collier, WSC director of college relations, said actions have been taken to ensure the safety of the alleged victim as well as the campus in general.

“The college utilizes no-contact orders, building restrictions, increased campus security foot patrols, and live-in residential staff awareness measures to monitor issues of concern,” Collier said. “We encourage students who may feel unsafe or uncomfortable to contact live-in residential staff, campus security, or the Title IX coordinator immediately, so the college can direct those students to appropriate support services.”

Even with the actions taken thus far by WSC officials, the victim, freshman Kyra Wischmann, expressed frustration with the fact the suspect remains on campus during the investigation. Wischmann has encountered the alleged suspect on campus numerous times since the incident occurred, including regularly seeing him in the upper cafeteria.

“I’m getting rid of my meal plan,” Wischmann said. “It’s so discomforting, I shouldn’t have to feel anxious opening doors because I don’t know who’s going to be behind it.”

Wischmann is not alone in her concern about the continued presence of the suspect on campus. Flyers advocating for increased security were distributed on the windshields of vehicles in faculty and administration parking lots on Friday, Feb. 8. The flyers included a copied image of last week’s Wayne Stater front page, a tweet about the incident and the message “MORE SECURITY 4 WSC” handwritten on the bottom.

Collier expressed that student safety is a top priority, but indicated he feels the campus is adequately secure.

“While there are no immediate plans to add cameras in residence halls, WSC sees prevention education as a top priority,” Collier said. “We engage with and educate the college community about awareness, college policies, and accountability during New Student Orientation and continue with these efforts throughout students’ entire time at the college.”

The Wayne Police Department said it would not comment unless charges are filed in the case and did not provide an anticipated timeline for the investigation. Wischmann, however, said an officer from the Wayne Police Department contacted her on Feb. 5 to inform her there was insufficient evidence to file charges and they planned to close the investigation.