Crazy college cat lady

Thoughts from a junior

Julia Baxter, Columnist

What do you want to be when you grow up? I’m not sure as for my career or other traditional answers… you know, the important stuff that I’ll need to know in less than two years, but I do know that I am on my way to becoming a crazy cat lady.

That’s right, I’m a crazy cat lady in training, and I’ve got to say I’m definitely on the right road. I’ve only got one cat, Daisy, but man am I crazy about her.

Part of being a crazy cat lady is having a plan of how you can really seal the deal in the future, and what kind of things can I do that will truly earn me the title of crazy. Here are my ideas so far.

I’m thinking that obviously one cat isn’t enough, so I’m going to wait until I have a big house, then I’m going to head to the Nebraska Humane Society when they are having a sale because they are overfilled with cats (a lot of times in the summer they will have all cats 6 months and up be free) and fill up on lots of cats.

Next, I’m going to have the basement of the house be the cat domain, filled with all of the things cats love like scratching posts, food and water bowls, litter boxes, cat toys, feathers and of course, boxes.

Still, none of this is enough to earn me the title of a truly crazy cat lady, so how can I up the crazy factor, a wallet full of cat pictures? Sitting on my lawn and yelling at children about the values of cats? Remembering the names of my future cats better than those of my future children? Where is the line I need to cross? The straw that breaks the camel’s back?

The question becomes, do I have what it takes to live my dream? Will I ever truly find that one little aspect of life that can be solely mine, while still adding to the entire ensemble of cat lady and giving me the title of crazy? I’ll have to keep training, which I’m sure will make my boyfriend who only tolerates cats, very excited…

About the Writer
Julia Baxter, Photo Editor

Julia Baxter is from Plattsmouth, NE and graduated from Lourdes Central Catholic High School in 2016. She is currently a junior at WSC. She participates...