Black Student Association is showed strong support

The BSA wants their message of understanding and inclusion heard

Morgan Cardenas, Staff Writer

Black Students Association (BSA) is a club on campus promoting diversity and equality for everyone on campus. They pride themselves on tackling social issues many minorities face here at Wayne State College.

“Our mission statement basically is accepting, affirming, and aspiring,” said Tshiyamba Ngeleka, BSA president. “How we describe that is we’re accepting of everybody. A lot of times people think since we’re called Black Students Association that they can’t join if they’re white or Mexican or any other race, but we accept everyone and want them to feel included.”

Ngeleka also explained how the club hopes to take the experiences they had with them throughout their lives and to have the club grow even bigger than it is.

She also explained the importance of giving a voice and being an example for other minorities on campus.

“I think the biggest part about BSA is the fact that we are here to give a voice to everyone, it’s to see both sides of the coin,” said the Treasurer, Jeremiah Woods. “We all know our side and we all know what we experience, but to hear it from a different perspective is something that we all need to hear at the end of the day.”

Woods talked about how important perspective is and how much someone learns about it from BSA. He explained how he would hear the side from a fellow black student and how they see things, and then to hear the side from a different perspective of a Caucasian or Hispanic student was very eye opening for him.

“We’re far more than just a group of angry black people wanting to express our rights.” said Vice President, Devyn Davis. “That’s how some people view us as and I know, to me at least, I would like to change that outlook and let them know that we’re more than that.”

Ngeleka expressed how she has noticed some people think they come off as aggressive, but explained how BSA really just wants to show everyone they are here and here to stay. She wants everyone to be able to look past the stereotypes some people have and instead see them for who they actually are.

“During our meetings we talk a lot about social issues,” Ngeleka said. “We have a moment where we have a ‘Let It Out.’ We talk about things we experienced on and off campus, and talk to know how to tackle those issues and know how to face it when in that position.”

According to Davis, BSA is all about the closeness and friendship all the members and the executive board have together. Ngeleka and Woods agreed it’s more of a family than a club almost, and they always have someone to lean on.

“My favorite thing is when like I talk to my parents or other people off campus and explain the club to them and they are so proud to see how their kid is trying to change the world,” Ngeleka said. “They see I’m trying to change people’s perspective and are so proud.”

BSA also puts on events like socials and a cookout at the end of the year. They also will be putting on events throughout Feb. for Black History Month.

“We want to make sure that people know that even though we’re not the biggest group we do want to be heard just as much as the bigger ones are,” said Historian, Paige Hildebrand. “We’re just trying to express ourselves”

BSA is all about understanding one another, no matter the skin color or anything else, and they hope they can spread this message to everyone on campus.

For more information about BSA, they have meetings every Wed. at 5 p.m. in the Student Center.

Courtesy of BSA