Car chase causes schools to temporarily lock down

After a police car chase, the speeder was tracked on foot and arrested

Kadra Sommersted-Simmons, Staff Writer

The following information is taken and rewritten from a press release written by Chief of Police Marlen Chinn.

Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2019 around 3:10 p.m., 26-year-old, Juan Pena Tamayo was reported for recklessness in and around Wayne. He was driving a white SUV at a high speed forcing several vehicles off HWY 35 between Wakefield and Wayne.

A little while later a Wayne Police officer encountered Tamayo heading westbound while still at a high speed. He passed another vehicle by going into the center lane to get away from the officer.

Once Tamayo and the officer reached the residential area of Wayne, there was a short vehicle pursuit through town. Tamayo stopped his vehicle and ran. Due to the events being so close to the schools and dismal coming, Wayne P.D. notified the schools. Wayne P.D. requested the school do a lockout and keep students within the building for safety reasons.

Minutes later Tamayo was located near the 400 block of West 10th street. He was then stopped and taken into custody. The school lockout was removed around 3:30 p.m.

Tamayo was arrested on these counts: suspicion of Driving Under the Influence, Willful Reckless Driving, Flight to Avoid Arrest, Driving During Suspension/Revocation and many other traffic infractions.

Tamayo has been jailed and is awaiting formal charges from the Wayne County Attorney’s Office in Wayne County Court.